The Moravian Church British Province

in things essential, unity... in non-essentials, liberty... in all things, charity

home-page-button-v
home-button-m
button-home-y

Moravian Messenger

 

messenger-tab
Download the latest edition of the Moravian Messenger

fairtrade

coronation

Coronation Avenue, Bath

South Twerton (1907). Original Bath Congregation 1765; Society 1752. 


Worship and other activities take place at the
 Church of the Ascension, Claude Avenue, South Twerton BA2 1AF

This small congregation is happy to invite followers of all Christian traditions (and those having no particular Christian Affiliations) to join with us for a traditional service and to share in Holy Communion or a Cup of Covenant. The Service is followed by tea, biscuits and friendly fellowship with each other. We are enriched by the services of several Ministers and Lay Preachers who frequently lead our worship.

The Moravian Church is a Christian Church whose roots go back to the 15th Century and started in what is now the Czech Republic. The Church moved to Moravia and then again to Germany because of religious persecution. They wanted to live a simple Christian life based on the Sermon on the Mount and the Moravian approach to life is still based on faith, fellowship and freedom. Following a spiritual awakening in 1727 the Church saw its purpose as sharing the Gospel around the world and has been in Britain since the 1730s.

From its earliest days the Church has sought to work in harmony with other Christians. There are a number of joint Moravian/United Reformed Church congregations and in 1998 the signing of the Fetter Lane Agreement brought the Anglican and the Moravian Communions into a close working relationship with each other. The Moravian Church has adopted the ancient saying “In essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things charity”. The Moravian Church has been in Bath since 1752 when a society was established and a chapel was built in Monmouth street before moving to Charlotte Street in 1834. The Congregation next moved to Coronation Avenue in 1907 “to be nearer its people” and worshipped in the John Cennick Memorial Church. Following the Fetter lane agreement and a smaller congregation we moved again and now meet on Sunday Afternoons at the Ascension Church in Claude Avenue (a few hundred yards from its old premises).

The Church also runs the 2nd Bath Girls Brigade Company which is a uniformed Christian organisation and meets on term time Monday evenings and is open to girls from age 4 up to 17.

Worship Times

Services: Every Sunday at 3pm.

Contacts

Minister: Rev Paul Holdsworth
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Secretary: Mrs S Smith
Tel: 01761 416515
email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Treasurer: Mr G Smith
Tel: 01761 416515
email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Location

The
 Church of the Ascension, Claude Avenue, South Twerton BA2 1AF

Click the map to view a detailed map location

coronation-map

Photo Gallery